Untitled-1-2-6-2

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A New England Thanksgiving

I think it's safe to say that New England, or Massachusetts more specifically, is my home away from home. Ever since I was young, I've had a special place in my heart for that majestic rocky coastline, those cranberry bogs, and the Boston Red Sox. I feel so lucky to have been able to spend my Thanksgiving up there this year. As a special treat, my extended family, who all live in the greater Boston area, decided to head south to Newport, Rhode Island for the holiday. With it's cozy wharfs, winding colonial cobblestone streets, and that typical sleepy New England town feel, it was the perfect setting for a Thanksgiving reunion. 

On Thanksgiving's sunny afternoon (pre-feast), we ventured over to Fort Adams State Park for some fresh ocean air, breathtaking views of the coastline, and a brisk walk. 

We spent Thanksgiving evening at the Canfield House Restaurant. The atmosphere of this restaurant was almost too perfect of a setting for a holiday meal. Cozy fireplaces crackled in every room, deep red & green wallpaper covered the old Victorian's walls, and Christmas decor was already on display. And for the record, they have the most heavenly pumpkin cheesecake a gal can ask for.

To walk off our Canfield Thanksgiving feast, we spent Friday morning on the Cliff Walk, which is nestled between the Atlantic Ocean and dozens of the grandest 19th Century mansions you'll ever see.

After the Cliff Walk, we headed to one of Newport's most popular mansions, The Elms, which we heard had decked their giant halls. As I strolled through the mansion like the tourist I was - guided by audio tour - I couldn't help but feel like I was in an episode of Downton Abbey. (Mr. Carson, my tea, please.)

To top off our Newport visit, we spent some time at the Newport Historical Society chatting with a local historian about our Wickham heritage. My aunt has been researching our lineage and has found some AMAZING information about our ancestors. We recently discovered that many Wickhams once graced the streets of Newport - as prominent townspeople! 

And finally, to appropriately end my time in New England, I spent Sunday morning in Boston. We did some Christmas shopping at Quincy Market, ate some clam chowdah, and thoroughly enjoyed the Christmas decorations and twinkling lights that adorned the creaky old trees. 

Thanks for the wicked good time, New England! 

No comments:

Post a Comment