Untitled-1-2-6-2

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

So, what's the Pan Mass Challenge, you ask?

Ok, everyone. Brace yourselves. I, Mary Catherine Wickham, have signed up to ride in the PanMassachusetts Challenge. The PMC is a series of bike rides throughout Massachusetts on August 8th, 2011. All of these rides serve one purpose - to raise money to fight cancer. My Uncle Funny Jeff (yes, I, a 23 yr. old, still call my Uncle the name I've used since I was 7) and my two cousins, Sam and Lee, have rode in the Challenge the past two years, and finally, this year, they were able to convince my Dad and I to participate. Conveniently, we have a family reunion up there the week before, so I really didn't have an excuse! But, to be completely honest, I'm totally excited. This is the first time I've taken on a physical challenge as difficult as this one, and it's for one of the best causes I can think of - getting rid of cancer once and for all.

We've all known someone who's died from cancer, or fought cancer, or maybe, you know someone who's fighting that fight right now. Either way, we are all affected one way or another. Personally, my grandfather died of lung cancer a few years ago, and my grandmother has fought and won her battle with cancer. I've had a slew of other relatives who've had encounters with the deadly disease, and quite frankly, it's time to do something about it.

My Dad and I have both set a goal to raise $1,000 before our PMC ride in August. All funds raised will go directly to cancer research and treatment. I'm about 40% of the way there, but I really do hope I exceed my goal. So, if you're reading this, and have in some way been affected, or angered, or frustrated by stupid stupid cancer - donate to my PMC ride by clicking on the link below:


OR you can just check out the super awesome flyer my Dad and I are handing out and just laugh :)



No comments:

Post a Comment