Untitled-1-2-6-2

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Ma Pa Tofu - Ma & Pa's new favorite!

I think cooking may just be my new favorite hobby/stress outlet. So much has been going on, I've had to scramble to find fun little hobbies that help keep me in check. Cooking is challenging, fun and rewarding! Driving home from work the other day, I suddenly had a craving for a dish my Aunt Carrie made while I lived with her in Boston. It was healthy, delicious and different. I made it on my own once, and then decided to share it with my family. Needless to say, I got perfect tens all around. Thanks, Aunt Carrie!

The dish? 
Ma Pa Tofu

The ingredients?

  • 1 pound (1 package) of firm tofu, cut into six slices
  • 1/2 cup fat free, less sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp oyster sauce (hoisin sauce can be substituted)
  • 1 tbsp corn starch
  • 1 - 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
  • 4oz. lean ground pork
  • 1 tbsp grated fresh peeled ginger
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 cups hot cooked rice
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onion
  • 1/2 bag of frozen peas (*secret ingredient!)

The instructions? Relatively simple. 
  1. First, slice the tofu into 6 pieces. Place the tofu on 2-3 paper towels on a plate. Cover the tofu with 2-3 more paper towels and another plate. Let tofu sit for 20 minutes. Then, cut tofu slices into 1/2-inch cubes.
  2. In the meantime, mix chicken broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce, corn starch, and chili garlic sauce. 
  3. Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium high heat & add the ground pork. Cook for 4 minutes or until done.
  4. Add ginger and garlic to ground pork, cook 1 minute. Stir constantly. 
  5. Add tofu. Cook 4 minutes, or until golden, stirring frequently.
  6. Cook & drain half a bag of frozen peas.
  7. Finally, add broth mixture & peas. Cook 1 minute or until thick.
  8. Serve tofu mixture over rice, sprinkle with onions and voila! A tasty asian dish.
I've never been a huge tofu fan (interestingly enough, I used think it was "squishy chicken"),  but this recipe may have just undone years of hatred towards tofu. Let the tofu lovin' begin! 


Serve with a fresh salad, and some white wine, 
and you've got yourself one fine meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment