Untitled-1-2-6-2

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Funky Fall Decor - Part II

I really think I may have a problem. It's not anywhere CLOSE to looking like fall or feeling like fall, but I can't stop thinking about fall - and decorating for it! Yesterday, my friend, Kristin, and I had a lovely afternoon of crafting. Now, to be honest, I can't say we are craftiest gals around, nor the most talented, but what we did create? Totally awesome and totally easy. Trust me, if we can do it - you can too! After perusing Michael's for awhile, we finally decided to create three things: a Halloween Wreath, Mod Podge Pumpkins and (dollar store) Fall Candles. 

MOD PODGE PUMPKINS

Necessary items:
  • A Pumpkin (Real or Fake)
  • Mod Podge (glossy)
  • Some sort brush or sponge to apply the Mod Podge
  • 2-3 sheets of scrapbooking paper of your choice
Directions:
  1. Rip your scrapbooking paper into small pieces. If the design on the paper is large, I would recommend ripping large pieces as you'll want be able to see what the original print design was once it's on your pumpkin.
  2. Use your brush or sponge to "glue" each piece of paper to your pumpkin. Be sure to brush the Mod Podge over your paper as well - this will give your pumpkin a glossy look. Note: Once the Mod Podge dries, it will not be visible, leaving only a gloss over your paper.

HALLOWEEN WREATHS

Necessary Items:
  • A Wreath Base: This can be wire shaped into a circle, circle-shaped styrofoam (this is what I used), or a bundle of twigs that can be shaped like a wreath (this is what Kristin used).
  • Your Wreath Decorations: I used orange ribbon to wrap my styrofoam and a black and white ribbon to create a bow to attach to my wreath. Kristin used felt to create flowers to attach to her wreath. Other items I've seen: pieces of fabric tied around a wire to create a "bushy" look, painted letters (BOO or EEK), painted wooden shapes, etc. This is where you can get creative and customize based on what YOU like!
  • Super Glue/Hot Glue + Hot Glue Gun
Directions:
  1. Begin by decorating your wreath base - whether that is wrapping a thick ribbon around it, tying pieces of fabric onto it, or twisting your twigs into the shape of a wreath.
  2. Get out that glue and start adding the accessories! My wreath was relatively easy, but if you'd like to create Kristin's felt flowers, all you must do is cut a long skinny piece of felt, tie a knot at the end of it, and wrap the extra felt around that knot - gluing as you go.


DOLLAR STORE FALL CANDLES

Necessary Items: 
  • Fall Leaves (Real or Fake)
  • 1 tall cylindrical candle from the dollar store
  • 1 tall cylindrical vase from the dollar store (must be thicker than the candle)
  • 1 short candlestick holder from the dollar store (this will be the base of your creation)
Directions:

I will leave this up to 320 Sycamore as she gives wonderful, very easy-to-follow, and detailed directions on how to do this project. Trust me on this one - $4 total will get you the perfect classy fall centerpiece! 



Good luck all you fall crafters you! 

1 comment: