Untitled-1-2-6-2

Monday, July 30, 2012

Brilliant! Bloody Brilliant!

I have a weird obsession with all things British. This includes everything from British accents, Downton Abbey, and the Spice Girls to Pimm's & Lemonade, big hats, and Wimbledon. What can I say?! It's a thing.

That said, going to Wimbledon is on my bucket list. I HAVE been to London, but not good ol' Wimbledon! Someday. It WILL happen. In the meantime, I will have to satisfy my professional tennis craving with other local tournaments - like the CitiOpen (formerly known as the Legg Mason Tournament), where we ventured yesterday! I woke up bright and early, ready to use my best British accent and pretend I was actually in Londontown. Funny enough, we ended up parking right next to a red Mini Cooper! What's more British than a red Mini Cooper. Not much, well, maybe the Queen, but really - not much. 

The tournament was held in Rock Creek Park, a beautiful area in Northeast DC. We had sun, a cool breeze, and low humidity. The day couldn't have been better. Unfortunately, we couldn't stay all day, so we watched the first match on the main court between Serra from France and Farah from Columbia. Bridget & I quickly developed a fondness for Farah as he was the underdog......and maybe a little cuter than Serra. (Is it socially acceptable to admit that?) Sadly, Serra defeated Farah in a nail-biter of a match. 

Coincidentally, a former UF Alum took the court following the Serra-Farah match! Jesse Levine, who graduated the same year as I did, has apparently evolved into a pretty great player. It's always so inspiring to see fellow Gators with such success.






A few thoughts...
  • Bridget & I decided that we would make bloody brilliant match commentators. And by bloody brilliant, I mean ridiculous and weird.
  • What do you think ball boy/girl training is like? B & I spent the majority of the match contemplating this comical thought. 
  • Why are people going to sit in their assigned seats in the sun when, clearly, there are unguarded shaded sections of seating?
  • Note to self: Go back to Rock Creek Park in the fall! 


Cheerio! 

No comments:

Post a Comment