Untitled-1-2-6-2

Friday, June 1, 2012

Hittin' the Road, Jack - Day 1

It's official. I am a Northern VA/DC resident. I moved to the area 2 weeks ago yesterday -- and couldn't be happier -- but sheesh, was it a feat getting up here. Well, let me rephrase that...GETTING READY to get up here was quite the feat. Once the house had been packed & cleaned, and I had said those hard goodbyes, the journey was actually really fun, and an adventure I'd been dying to have again. 

After a lot of thought and financial calculation, it was decided that a roadtrip to DC made the most sense. Planes = How the heck do we move my stuff. Trains = Too expensive. Boats = I wish! My dad graciously offered to be my passenger/navigator/body guard for the drive, which was such a blessing because I'm pretty sure I would not have had as much fun or been able to stay awake. We decided that we wanted to take our time, enjoy the scenery, and take in the sights. It was a tough decision, but we decided that our route would be the following: 

Naples>>Ocala/Gainesville>>Savannah>>Beaufort>>Charleston>>Cherokee, NC>>Blue Ridge Parkway>>Blacksburg>>Roanoke>>DC! 
(The coast AND the mountains. We really weren't in a rush, were we.)

We left early on a Monday morning. After a quick stop in Tampa to see Sister Sarah, we were off to Ocala to have lunch with two of my favorite folks - Matt & Kristin! We had lunch at a lovely little Ocala diner, got the grand tour of their new but totally old and awesome house, then we were on our way! Unfortunately, our next stop was not my favorite. Gainesville. Don't get me wrong, I love and adore Gainesville, but this Gainesville pitstop was the "squish everything you own into a tiny car" pitstop. After about an hour and a half of puzzle-piecing our way through packing the car and leaving, ya know, a perfectly fine TV, some bedding, a fan, a mirror, and some odds & ends on the curb, we were on our way to Savannah. (Can you tell I'm bitter?!)

The drive from Gainesville to Savannah was...how do I put this gently...HORRIBLE. We drove through a hurricane. Not literally, but it sure seemed like it. 


Thank goodness my Dad was driving. I just closed my eyes and held on tight! The worst part was that it lasted forever. Like two hours of pure, unadulterated raining-cats-and-dogs downpours. Thankfully, after that nonsense, we had smooth sailing and a beautiful sunset for the remainder of our drive. 

 

Days 2, 3, & 4 coming soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment